Preparing our students to transition from high school to the adult world and responsibilities is a top priority at Matheny. Transition Activities for Matheny School students begin in high school where each student is assessed for needs, strengths, preferences, and interests. Starting at age 14 we begin identifying and developing transition opportunities appropriate for each individual student with the goal of developing their independence within school, home, and the community.
This is an outcome-oriented process promoting our student’s movement from school to post-school activities. Depending on each student’s special needs and their level of independence, transition activities may be as basic as the acquisition of daily living skills. For others, activities may include opportunities to develop good work habits, build up physical stamina and concentration capabilities, as well as learn specific job skills, which they will have opportunities to practice in authentic work settings on and off campus such as:
- Matheny’s Teatime Café, a snack bar managed by Matheny students for Matheny employees where students gain practical experience interacting with customers, operating an adaptive cash-register and point-of-sale technology, and recording sales on worksheets
- Fully supported community-based work experiences at such venues as the Bridgewater Township Library, TJ Maxx/Home Goods, and the Gurukul Yoga Holistic Center
- Service learning projects such as Operation Shoebox, an organization that sends care packages to troops stationed overseas
- In-house office jobs such as inventorying supplies and producing saleable products
- Job training within Structured Learning Environments
The short-term goal is to support our students’ transition from High School to their adult life options. Our ultimate goal is to help them to achieve their maximum level of independence, productivity and fulﬁllment.
The Matheny School transition teachers are New Jersey certified special education teachers who also hold certifications in Community-Based Instruction and Structured Learning Experience.
Resources for Learning at Home – Virtual Tours & Field Trips
Over the last several months, we have all been challenged to come up with ways to keep ourselves and...Read More
Matheny’s Memorable Moments & Bright Spots of 2020
When we wrote our “Best of 2019” post around this time last year, we had no idea what we...Read More
Charles “Chuck” Matheny – Model of Possibility
Charles H. Matheny, age 76, died on December 14, 2017 – three years ago today. A native of Minnesota,...Read More