Are you Thinking of Leaving Your Legacy to Matheny?
Thank you for recognizing that the work that is conducted each day at the Matheny School and Hospital makes a positive impact in the lives of people living with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
We are grateful that you have decided to take this step to understand how, by leaving a legacy gift through your estate plans you can ensure that Matheny is here to continue the mission of Walter and Marguerite Matheny for another 74 years.
Walter and Marguerite’s dream was born out of necessity. Walter Matheny began helping children with special needs soon after he graduated from college. Little did he know that he and his lovely wife would be blessed with their son Chuck, who was born with cerebral palsy. In a world ill-equipped to educate children like Chuck, they decided it was time to do more. In 1946, they founded the Burnt Mills School for Paralysis Correction with the help of a $3,000 GI loan.
With your planned gift you are helping us ensure that rehabilitation and improvement in the quality of life of those living with disability is always a core part of our mission.
You will find information on a variety of planned gifts, including many that can be made today. If you are interested in any of these options, please let us know and we encourage you to always discuss your decisions with your family and your professional estate or financial advisor.
Discover the Benefits of Giving Wisely
There are creative ways to support Matheny that can also benefit you at the same time. Such giving techniques or “Planned Gifts” create a win-win situation for you and Matheny.
- Gifts from your Will or Trust: Include a gift to Matheny School and Hospital, Inc. in your will or trust. Here is sample language for your will. Bequests can be unrestricted or directed to a specific program. You may also memorialize a loved one by making a gift in their name. Please indicate a specific amount or a percentage of the balance remaining in your estate or trust.
- Gifts of Stock and Appreciated Assets: When you transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for at least one year to Matheny, we sell your securities and use the proceeds for our programs and services. Use this Stock Transfer Form to process your gift. In return, you will receive immediate income tax deductions for the fair market value of the securities on the date oftransfer, you pay no capital gains tax on the transfer, and giving this way can be more beneficial than giving cash. The “cost” of your gift if often less than the deduction you gain by making it. Instructions for stock donations attached.
- Real Estate Gifts: Real estate property and land can be donated to Matheny at any time. Please contact the Development department if you wish to explore this option.
Once again, thank you for thinking of us and for your commitment to the people we serve. We are here to help you with any questions you may have. You are welcome to contact us anytime and we invite you to visit Matheny to meet all of the wonderful people we serve and see for yourself the life-enhancing programs for people with special needs.
Chief Development Officer
(908) 234-0011, ext. 1275 firstname.lastname@example.org
(908) 234-0011, ext. 1203 email@example.com
Development and Communications Coordinator
(908) 234-0011, ext. 1261 firstname.lastname@example.org