Speech-language pathologist Jaclynne Dietrich works with student Scott Gordon on his communication skills.
The Matheny School will be holding an Open House on Wednesday, October 9, from 10 a.m.-12 noon to showcase its various programs for students with multiple disabilities. These include:
- Preschool. Supported through an adapted environment using emergent technology, communication systems and the individual education plan.
- Elementary K-8. Utilizing a “centers approach” where students have the opportunity to participate with their peers to learn tasks via hands-on activities.
- High School 9-12+. Study of traditional academics, such as biology and U.S. history plus transition and elective classes that help students prepare for adulthood.
- Adapted Physical Education. Promoting fitness through all traditional sports, modified to encourage students to create their own independent movements.
- 21st Century Life Skills. Taking what is learned in the classroom and applying it to real-life situations.
- Speech therapy. Providing individual and integrated services as well as in-class language groups.
- Occupational Therapy. Facilitating students’ access to their environment with as much independence as possible.
- Social Services. Promoting the emotional well-being and adjustment of each student to maximize academic growth and physical functioning.
- Physical Therapy. Customizing positioning and exercise routines using standing and adaptive bike riding.
- Psychology. Working as a team with school staff and parents/guardians to understand the meaning behind behaviors viewed as inappropriate or unsafe.
For more information or to R.S.V.P., call Jill Baker at (908) 234-0011, ext. 234, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Occupational therapist Wendell Lumapas helps student Michael Taurozzi use switches to access a computer.
Julie Gordon, speaking at The Matheny School Open House.
Scott Gordon is a 14-year-old student at The Matheny School. According to his mother Julie, Scott is “a caring, sensitive young teenager who is thriving at Matheny, thanks to the wonderful people who fill its halls.” Julie Gordon made those remarks at The Matheny School’s Open House, held May 21. Speaking to representatives from public school districts and other parents, she pointed out that Scott had been diagnosed with cerebral palsy and a developmental delay when he was about one year old.
“If I could sum up the Matheny experience in one phrase,” she said, “it would be ‘no limits.’ Simply put, the educators, therapists and caregivers at Matheny view my son, and all the students there, as capable children, with no predetermined limits on their achievements. There is no ‘one size fits all’ learning approach at Matheny. The educators know Scott and figure out what will work for him. The therapists push him to achieve all he can. Scott is experiencing life to the fullest. I do not have the words to express the gratitude I feel to all those who work with our son.”
A speech-language pathologist helps a non-verbal student communicate by using a SMART Board.
The Matheny School will be holding an Open House on Tuesday, May 21, from 10 a.m.-noon, to showcase its wide range of programs for students with multiple disabilities.
Students served by the school attend either preschool, kindergarten-eighth grade or high school (grades 9-12+). Emergent technologies and communications systems, a “centers approach” incorporating hands-on activities and traditional academics such as biology and U.S. history are all part of Matheny’s comprehensive program. Occupational, physical and speech therapy are provided for all students along with adapted physical education, “21st Century” life skills, social services and psychology.
The Matheny School is accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. And, for assistive technology, it is also accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF).
School districts or families can obtain more information about the Open House and register by calling (908) 234-0011, ext. 774, or emailing email@example.com.